These honey mustard chicken breasts are insanely delicious and so easy to make! We marinated these chicken breasts in a flavorful honey mustard mixture, grilled them hot and fast, and basted them with a little more sauce. These breasts make a great weeknight meal!
These sweet and tangy chicken breasts are perfect sliced and served on salads, in wraps, or over veggie noodles. I’ve even used it as a topping for pizzas. If you’d like a lot of sauce for these honey mustard chicken breasts, double the recipe to fit your needs.
Ingredients for Honey Mustard Chicken Breasts:
- Chicken Breasts: medium-sized, boneless, and skinless
- Dijon Mustard
- Yellow Mustard
- Apple Juice
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Chopped Chives: You can substitute with your favorite herbs or savories. I recommend chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, chopped green onion, chopped rosemary, or even chopped tarragon.
How do you flatten chicken breasts?
Cover your cutting board with a large piece of plastic wrap. Place one chicken breast on top of it, and cover with another large piece of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of your kitchen mallet or a rolling pin, gently hit to flatten chicken breasts working from the thickest portion in the middle to the outer edges. Flatten each breast to a uniform thickness of 1/2-inch.
- Prepare the marinade ingredients and split the contents in half, reserving 1/2 to use as a basting sauce when the chicken is on the grill.
- Place your flattened chicken breasts into a resealable plastic bag, and pour the remaining half on top. I like to use tongs to work the breast around to coat evenly.
- Marinate the chicken anywhere from 2-12 hours.
Grilling honey mustard chicken breasts:
- Preheat your grill to medium heat of 350 degrees F. Please keep in mind that the cooking time will go quickly since we’re grilling flattened chicken breasts.
- Keep the reserved sauce, a basting brush, and a reliable instant-read thermometer nearby.
- If you choose not to flatten the chicken breasts, you will need to adjust your cooking times accordingly.
What is the best side dish for honey mustard chicken?
These chicken breasts work well with just about any grilled, steamed, or baked vegetable. We’ve listed some of our favorite side dishes below!
- 4 medium chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chives finely chopped (garnish)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cover a cutting board with a large piece of plastic wrap. Place one chicken breast on top of it, and cover with another large piece of plastic wrap. You can also use resealable freezer bags for this job. Using a kitchen mallet or rolling pin, gently hit to flatten chicken breasts working from the thickest portion in the middle to the outer edges. Flatten each breast to a uniform thickness of a half of an inch.
- Combine sauce/marinade ingredients. Separate half of it to use as the sauce (store in the refrigerator until ready to use, and the remaining half as the marinade. Place breasts into a resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade portion over top. Toss chicken with tongs to coat evenly. Seal bag and place into the refrigerator for 2-12 hours.
- Preheat your grill for 350 degrees F., or medium heat. Since the breasts have been flattened, they will not take as long to cook. Keep the reserved sauce nearby.
- Remove chicken breasts from bag and season with a little salt and black pepper on both sides. Place breasts on to grill grate and cook for 4-5 minutes, turn, and brush cooked side with reserved sauce. After 3 more minutes, turn breasts and brush more sauce on. Continue cooking until the internal temperature of each breast reaches at least 165 degrees F.
- Once cooked through, remove from heat and place onto a clean cutting board. Slice chicken breasts, garnish with chives, and serve.
- Store chicken breasts in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator, or freeze for 3-4 weeks.