Hummus bil Lahme (Hummus with Spiced Lamb)
If you love hummus but want it to be a tad more flavorful, why not add some spiced meat as a topping. While hummus bil lahme indicates spiced lamb, you can also use ground beef, ground chicken, or heartier meat substitutes for this recipe.Photo by: Sabrina Baksh/derrickriches.com
- 2 1/2 cups hummus See below for link to recipe
for spiced meat:
- 3/4 pound of ground lamb or protein of choice
- 1/2 sweet onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon baharat seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 to mato chopped (garnish)
- 3-4 mint leaves finely chopped (garnish)
- Salt optional
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil. Add chopped onions and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The object is to sweat the onions, not brown them. Add minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer onions and garlic to a clean bowl.
- Add a little extra oil (about 1 teaspoon) to skillet. Add ground meat and season with baharat mixture, and cook for 6-8 minutes. Scoop away any rendered oil and discard. Stir in cooked onion, garlic and toasted pine nuts to meat mixture. Cook through for 1 more minute and remove from heat.
- To assemble: Place hummus in a clean serving bowl. Top with cooked meat mixture and garnish with chopped tomato and mint. Serve immediately along with sliced pita bread or vegetables.
*I recommend using a meat substitute that has the texture of cooked beef. Simply follow the above instructions above for preparing the meat topping, but adjust time for doneness.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!