If you love hummus but want it to be a tad more flavorful, why not add some spiced meat as a topping. While hummus bil lahme indicates spiced lamb, you can also use ground beef, ground chicken, or heartier meat substitutes for this recipe.
Hummus bil Lahme (Hummus with Spiced Lamb)
Servings: 4 people
- 2 1/2 cups hummus
for spiced meat:
- 3/4 pound of ground lamb or protein of choice
- 1/2 sweet onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon baharat seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 to mato chopped (garnish)
- 3-4 mint leaves finely chopped (garnish)
- Salt optional
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil. Add chopped onions and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The object is to sweat the onions, not to brown them. Add minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer onions and garlic to a clean bowl.
- Add a little extra oil (about 1 teaspoon) to skillet. Add ground meat. Season with baharat mixture and cook meat for 6-8 minutes. Scoop away any rendered oil and discard. Stir in cooked onion, garlic and toasted pine nuts to meat mixture. Cook through for 1 more minute and remove from heat.
- To assemble: Place hummus in a clean serving bowl. Top with cooked meat mixture and garnish with chopped tomato and chopped mint. Serve immediately along with sliced pita bread or with vegetables.
Attribution: Sabrina Baksh