Kansas City Rub for Pork
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup paprika (not smoked)
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne
- Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl. Use immediately or store in an airtight plastic container or glass jar in the cupboard for 6 months after preparation.
- To use: Liberally apply mixture on meat part of ribs or all over pork roasts. Cook as directed. Discard any leftover rub that has come into contact with raw meat. Use 1-2 two tablespoons of mixture in sauces, marinades, and bastes.
Apply your spice rubs like a professional with a spice shaker (aka Dredge). This one from Winware has a heavy build, is machine washable, and holds plenty of spice rub. Plus it costs about $7. Just make sure you don't use this to store your rubs. It isn't airtight.