This Korean spice rub works well in Korean BBQ recipes, which focuses on deep heat coupled with rich, meaty goodness. If you haven’t tried kalbi (beef, chicken, or pork), you are missing out! This Korean spice rub works in all types of kalbi recipes but really stands out on beef. Luckily, items like Gochugaru are readily available at your local grocery store.
What is Gochugaru?
Gochugaru is a dried Korean chili pepper flake. These Korean pepper varieties often referred to as: long, red, or green peppers, are dried, pulverized, and used in various dishes, including this Korean Spice Rub. These peppers aren’t over-the-top hot, but they do provide a nice flavor to meats, seafood, vegetables, and meat substitutes.
Korean Spice Rub-Ingredients:
- Brown sugar
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Soy sauce powder
- Onion powder
- Granulated garlic
- Coarse salt
- Powdered ginger
- Gochugaru, Korean chili powder
- White pepper
Making and Using This Rub:
- Combine all required ingredients in a small bowl and apply directly to meats.
- Double or triple this Korean Spice Rub recipe to save for future use. Increase recipe if planning on cooking large quantities of meat.
- Simply combine and store rub in an airtight container or jar for up to 1 year after preparation.
- Do not store rub that has come into direct contact with raw meat.
- Use this spice rub in marinades, sauces, and a spice rub for beef, lamb, pork, chicken, fish, seafood, vegetables, and meat substitutes.
Try this Korean Spice Rub in the following recipes:
Korean Flanken Ribs are incredibly delicious, easy to prepare, and cook quickly on the grill! This dish is inspired by a Korean barbecue item know as galbi. Use one tablespoon of this Korean-inspired rub to amp up the flavor of the marinade!
Bulgogi Marinade is superbly flavorful and is commonly used to marinate thinly sliced beef. Of course, you can use this Korean-inspired marinade in just about anything! Try adding 1 tablespoon of our Korean Spice Rub to this bulgogi marinade. While this flavoring isn’t authentic to bulgogi, this spice rub will kick it up a notch!
These Galbi (Kalbi) Bowls are crazy delicious and call for butterflied beef short ribs. However, you can use any meat or vegetable substitute for this dish. Add 1 1/2-2 teaspoons of Korean Spice Rub to the marinade. It will add a nice boost and keep you coming back for more!
Korean Spice Rub
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds toasted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon gochugaru Korean chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and apply to meats. Double or triple the recipe for future use or large amounts of meat. Simply combine and store rub in an airtight container or jar for up to 1 year after preparation. Do not store any rub that has come into contact with raw meat.
You can buy Gochugaru Powder online or at an Asian Market.