This Korean spice rub recipe works quite well in most Korean BBQ recipes, which implement deep heat with rich, meaty goodness. If you haven’t tried galbi (beef, chicken, or pork), you are missing out! This Korean spice rub works in all types of galbi recipes but really stands out on beef. Luckily, items like Gochugaru are readily available at your local grocery store.
What is Gochugaru?
Gochugaru is a dried Korean chili pepper flake. These Korean pepper varieties often referred to as: long, red, or green peppers, are dried, pulverized, and used in various dishes. These peppers aren’t over-the-top hot, but they do provide a nice flavorful punch to meats.
What you’ll need for this recipe:
-Soy sauce powder: this is a dried, powdered version of soy sauce that adds excellent umami or savory flavor to food. You can find this item online or in specialty stores.
-Toasted sesame seeds
Use this seasoning in sauces, marinades, as a rub, or as a Korean BBQ powder garnish by lightly dusting cooked foods with it.
More Korean BBQ Recipes
Korean Spice Rub
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds toasted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon gochugaru Korean chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and apply to meats. Double or triple the recipe for future use or large amounts of meat. Simply combine and store rub in an airtight container or jar for up to 1 year after preparation. Do not store any rub that has come into contact with raw meat.
You can buy Gochugaru Powder online or at an Asian Market.