Enhance your Korean-style BBQ dishes with this flavorful Korean spice rub. This seasoning blend is perfect on beef but versatile enough for most proteins or veg. This rub’s essential component is gochugaru, a Korean chili powder that can be found online or in grocery stores.
What is Gochugaru?
Gochuguru flakes are made from long, red, or green pepper varieties that are dried and crushed. They add a unique and delicious flavor to many Korean dishes, including our mouth-watering Korean spice rub. Despite not being too spicy, these peppers are a game-changer for seasoning meats, seafood, veggies, and meat substitutes.
Korean Spice Rub-Ingredients:
- Brown sugar
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Soy sauce powder
- Onion powder
- Granulated garlic
- Coarse salt
- Powdered ginger
- Gochugaru, Korean chili pepper flakes
- White pepper
Making and Using This Rub:
- Combine all recipe ingredients in a small bowl and apply directly to meats.
- Double or triple this Korean Spice Rub recipe to save for future use. Increase the recipe if planning on cooking large quantities of meat.
- Combine and store rub in an airtight container or jar for up to 1 year after preparation.
- Do not store rub that has come into direct contact with raw meat.
- Use this spice rub in marinades, sauces, and a spice rub for beef, lamb, pork, chicken, fish, seafood, vegetables, and meat substitutes.
Try this Korean Spice Rub in the following recipes:
Korean Flanken Ribsare incredibly delicious, easy to prepare, and cook quickly on the grill! This dish is inspired by a Korean barbecue item know as galbi. Use one tablespoon of this Korean-inspired rub to amp up the marinade’s flavor!
Bulgogi Marinadeis superbly flavorful and is commonly used to marinate thinly sliced beef. Of course, you can use this Korean-inspired marinade in just about anything! Try adding 1 tablespoon of Korean Spice Rub to this bulgogi marinade for an extra kick of flavor. While it may not be traditional, this spice rub takes the flavor of bulgogi to the next level!
These Galbi (Kalbi) Bowls are super delicious and call for butterflied beef short ribs. However, you can use any meat or vegetable for this dish. Don’t forget to add 1 1/2-2 teaspoons of Korean Spice Rub to the marinade to give it a nice flavor boost.
Get your Gochugaru Powder today!
Korean Spice Rub
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds toasted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon gochugaru Korean chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and apply to meats. Double or triple the recipe for future use or large amounts of meat. Simply combine and store rub in an airtight container or jar for up to 1 year after preparation. Do not store any rub that has come into contact with raw meat.