This recipe is for a quick and easy maple brine, perfect for turkeys and pork roasts. Our Maple Brine will impart a subtle sweet maple flavor that is just perfect for the holidays.
Brining your larger roasts is the perfect way to make sure that they are moist and flavorful as they cook. All it takes are a few simple ingredients, and you’ll be ready to go!
Well, the salt in the brine penetrates the meat, plumping and tenderizing it. This will produce a juicy, tender turkey or pork roast when cooked.
This recipe for a wet brine, which refers to placing the meat into a mixture of water, salt, and something sweet like sugar or maple syrup.
Maple Brine: The Ingredients
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce: If you need a gluten-free option, use a GF tamari soy sauce
- Maple syrup: I recommend using real maple syrup versus maple-flavored syrup or pancake syrup. The real stuff costs a bit more, but it is a great sweetener to have on hand for brines and sauces.
- Sea salt
- Bay leaves
- Black peppercorns
You’ll need a large stockpot to boil the brine. Cool the brine completely before submerging your turkey or roast into the solution.
- Turkey: 24 hours
- Large Pork Roasts: 12-18 hours (example: pork shoulder)
- Small Pork Roasts: 2-4 hours (example: pork loin)
Tips for using maple brine:
After brining your turkey:
- Do not rinse
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Use a seasoning rub that does not contain salt.
-The brine will provide enough salt content for the meat. You may use a turkey injection marinade if preferred, but do not add salt to the marinade.
-Make sure the maple brine is cooled completely before submerging the turkey or pork.
-Add apple slices to the brine for a nice touch of fruitiness.
- 4 quarts water
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup sea salt
- 8 whole cloves garlic peeled
- 6 whole bay leaves
- 3 large sprigs of thyme
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- Place all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil, dissolving sugar and maple syrup. Remove from heat and allow brine to cool completely before using.