Memphis Barbecue Sauce
Normally, Memphis Barbecue is served without sauce. However, rules are made to be broken and this why many Memphis BBQ Joints have sauces available; either on the side or by special order. This recipe captures the complexity of Memphis Barbecue in a rich, flavorful sauce that holds the perfect combination of sweet, vinegar, and heat. A good Memphis Barbecue Sauce is thinner than most tomato based sauces, so keep that in mind as you prepare it.
Servings: 3 Cups
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup pureed onion use blender of food processor
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt use more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In medium sized saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add pureed onion and garlic and saute for 2m inutes. Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat and simmer over low for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and let cool completely. Store in an air tight container or jar in refrigerator for up to 1 week after preparation.
- Before serving, bring sauce up to room temp either on stovetop or in the microwave for 45-60 seconds.