Memphis Rib Sauce
This is a traditional Memphis-style barbecue sauce. It is served on the side as a side sauce and not applied to the ribs while they cook. Let your guests decide how much of this fantastic barbecue sauce they'd like.
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce
- In a blender or food processor, add chopped onion, red wine vinegar, and garlic. Heat oil in a medium pot, add blended mixture and saute over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add ketchup and mustard. Cook for additional 3 minutes, or until lightly bubbling, stirring often. Watch for burning. Reduce heat to low, add brown sugar and hot sauce. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Remove sauce from heat and let cool for 15-20 minutes before using. If preferred, you can use part of this sauce as a baste during smoking or serve on the side with ribs.
- Store mixture in an air tight container in refrigerator for up to 1 week after preparation.