Memphis Rib Sauce
This traditional Memphis-style barbecue sauce is served as a side sauce and is not brushed onto the ribs as they cook. So, think dry rubbed ribs, with a dollop or two of this fine sauce to go with it. Let your guests decide how much sauce they want, and relax and enjoy some of it yourself.Print Pin
Servings: 3 Cups
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce
- Add chopped onion, red wine vinegar, and garlic to a blender or food processor, and puree. Heat oil in a medium pot, add blended mixture and saute over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add ketchup and mustard. Cook for additional 3 minutes, or until lightly bubbling. Stir often. Reduce heat to low, add brown sugar and hot sauce. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Remove sauce from heat and cool for 15-20 minutes before using. If preferred, you can use part of this sauce as a baste during smoking, or serve on the side with barbecued ribs.
- Store sauce in an air tight container in refrigerator for up to 1 week after preparation.
Photo by: Sabrina Baksh