Memphis Style Rub
- 2/3 cup paprika (not smoked)
- 1/3 cup mild chili powder
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- 3 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons granulated onion
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 1/2 teaspoons powdered coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon powdered allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Make sure to work out any clumps. Store rub in an airtight container in the cupboard for up to 6 months
- Apply rub over meaty portion of pork ribs or all over pork roasts and larger cuts of meat. Cook as directed.
- Discard any rub that has come into contact with raw meat. It's best to take out a 1/4 cup at a time, use that first and go from there. This recipe is enough for 4 slabs of ribs and about 2 standard sized pork roasts.
Looking for more ideas? See my list of the best BBQ Pork Rib Rubs.
Not everyone has a big serious smoker. But that doesn't mean you can't make great barbecue ribs. Try these methods for the equipment you have and combine with any of the Top 10 Pork Rib Rubs
Apply your spice rubs like a professional with a spice shaker (aka Dredge). This one from Winware has a heavy build, is machine washable and holds plenty of spice rub. Plus it costs about $7. Just make sure you don't use this to store your rubs. It isn't airtight.