This is one of the easiest no mayo coleslaw recipes! It’s my ‘go-to’ slaw when I’m pressed for time. It’s versatile too and compliments so many grilled or smoked proteins!
Serve this no mayo coleslaw with smoked brisket, pork belly burnt ends, pulled pork, or pulled chicken. This slaw has a bright, fresh flavor that compliments vegan options like jackfruit. If you love a crunchy, vinegar-based slaw, this recipe is for you!
No mayo coleslaw Ingredients
- 14 ounce bag of coleslaw mix (without dressing)
- White vinegar (distilled vinegar)
- Dijon mustard (sub with yellow or grainy mustard)
- Olive oil
- White sugar (granulated sugar)
- Celery seed
- Salt and black pepper
Making the slaw:
- Combine vinegar with Dijon mustard, oil, sugar, celery seeds, black pepper, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add shredded cabbage mixture, and toss with tongs to coat. Cover bowl and place into the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
- Store leftover no mayo coleslaw in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days after preparation. The slaw might become mushy after the second day. I recommend discarding it at that point. Want to keep it crispy? See tips below for details.
Customize your no mayo coleslaw
- Add sliced green onion, thin strips of bell pepper, or jalapenos to the slaw. Or, add thin strips of your favorite apples.
- Not a fan of celery seeds? You can use dill or fennel seeds instead. If you’d prefer a creamy slaw, Try our Sandwich Slaw recipe.
- *For a vegan option, use a vegan-friendly Dijon mustard. The verjuice in some Dijon mustard contains casein or other animal by-products.
- To avoid mushy slaw, only make up the amount of no mayo coleslaw needed. Average 1/3 of a cup of slaw per sandwich. You’ll need 1 1/3 cups of slaw for four servings.
No Mayo Coleslaw
- 1 14 ounce bag of coleslaw mix (without dressing)
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine vinegar with Dijon mustard, oil, sugar, celery seeds, black pepper and salt. Add coleslaw mix well to coat. Cover bowl and place into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour before using.
- Add sliced green onion, thin strips of bell pepper or jalapenos to suit your needs. This recipe is simply a base, so get creative and make it your own.
- Store leftover slaw in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days after preparation.
- *For vegan option, use a vegan friendly Dijon mustard.