There is nothing more rewarding than biting into a perfectly cooked cowboy steak. Start off with a slower cook and then reverse sear. This will be the best you’ve ever had! Times in this recipe may vary depending on your pellet grill, its maximum temperature, and the outside air temperature. Be watchful.
Pellet Cowboy Steaks
- Pellet Grill
- 2 cowboy steaks about 1 3/4” to 2” thick
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Combine rub ingredients and slather onto both sides of the cowboy steaks.
- Preheat pellet grill to 225 degrees F.
- Place steaks on the cooking grate and cook to an internal temperature of 120 degrees F (about 45 minutes).
- Remove steaks from grill, cover and set aside. Turn pellet grill to its maximum temperature.
- Place steaks back on the hot grill. After four minutes, rotate 45 degrees to create a diamond pattern of sear marks. After four minutes turn over and repeat on the other side.
- Once seared to perfection, remove steaks from grill and place onto a clean cutting board. Let them rest for 5-7 minutes and serve with a dollop of flavored butter on top, or carve and share.
- Pellet recommendation: Hickory for a strong smoke flavor. Apple or Cherry for a mild smoke flavor.
- Photo by: Sabrina Baksh