There is nothing better than a smoked tri-tip roast. If you are unfamiliar with this cut of meat, it is also known as a triangle roast. Used in Santa Maria barbecue this cut of beef lends itself well to both simple and complex flavor profiles. For this Pellet Smoked Beef Tri-Tip recipe, we are using a more complex spice blend. This roast is slow-smoked and then pulled right as it reaches the optimal internal temperature. The result will be a deeply rich, perfectly smoked beef roast.
Pellet Smoked Beef Tri-Tip
- 1 tri-tip roast about 4 pounds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place the tri-tip roast onto a clean cutting board. Trim off any excess fat on the surface.
- Combine rub ingredients and apply onto both sides of the roast making sure to coat well. Let stand at room temperature until the smoker is ready.
- While meat is resting, it’s time to fire up your pellet grill. Aim for a steady temperature of 225 to 250 degrees F.
- Place roast into the smoker and insert temperature probe in the thickest part of the meat. Close the lid and let it go for about 2 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 130 degrees F.
- Remove tri-tip from pellet smoker and transfer onto a clean cutting board. Loosely tent with aluminum foil. Let meat rest for 8-10 minutes before carving.