Piedmont Barbecue Sauce
This barbecue sauce hails from the Carolinas and is served at the table with smoked pulled pork and pulled chicken. This sauce is not like other barbecue sauces as it is quite thin and relies heavily on vinegar and other delicious ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce use less if preferred
- In a large saucepan, simmer ingredients over medium heat for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for another 6-7 minutes. Make sure not to rush the cooking by turning up the heat. Hot vinegar and hot sauce together can produce powerful fumes that will knock you off your feet. Better to simmer over low temps.
- Remove sauce from heat and let cool thoroughly (about an hour). Use as indicated in introduction.
- To improve the sauce, make it 24 hours in advance and store in the refrigerator. Reheat for 30 -45 seconds in microwave before using. This extra time will allow the flavor of the sauce to really combine and mellow a bit.