This Pineapple-Maple Ham Glaze will quickly become one of your favorite glazes to use on baked, grilled, or double-smoked ham.
The pineapple adds a nice fruity flavor, while the maple offers a sweet candied coating. I strongly suggest using real maple syrup and not pancake syrup or imitation maple syrup. This pineapple-maple ham glaze recipe makes enough glaze for a 5-pound ham. I recommend doubling the recipe if cooking a larger bone-in ham. Have a saucepan and basting brush ready; it’s time to make this easy glaze!
Ingredients for Pineapple-Maple Ham Glaze:
- Pineapple juice
- Real maple syrup
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Dijon mustard: or yellow mustard
- Soy sauce: or tamari for GF diets
- Granulated garlic: sub with garlic powder
- Powdered cloves (optional)
How to make it:
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add maple syrup, brown sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, garlic powder, mustard, and spices.
- Increase heat, and bring to a high simmer. Stir often.
- Reduce heat to low and allow the glaze to simmer on low until it starts to thicken. The mixture should resemble syrup and coat the back of a spoon.
- Once the glaze reaches the proper consistency, remove the pot from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Apply pineapple-maple ham glaze during the second half of cooking time.
- If you plan to cook the ham on your smoker or pellet grill, please refer to my Double-Smoked Ham recipe for detailed information on when to apply the ham glaze.
Use this pineapple-maple ham glaze on other meats and even meat substitutes. Brush glaze onto grilled or baked chicken, pork chops, seafood kebabs, and meat substitutes like tofu. As directed above, use the pineapple-maple glaze during the second half of cooking time. Make a double batch and reserve half of the glaze to drizzle onto your favorite grilled item right before serving. Delicious!
Pineapple-Maple Ham Glaze
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup good quality maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- A few dashes of powdered cloves
- In a medium pot, heat butter over medium heat for 1 minute. Add maple syrup, brown sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, garlic powder, mustard, and spices. Increase heat, bring to a high simmer. Stirring often.
- Reduce heat and let glaze simmer on low until it starts to thicken. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon.
- Once the glaze reaches this consistency, remove the pot from heat and let the mixture cool for 10 minutes or so. Apply to ham as needed.