Plank Grilled Chocolate Stuffed Bread
The beauty of using wood planks on the grill is that they offer so much versatility. Hard to grill items can be placed on to a plank and cooked right over the flame. These chocolate stuffed bread rolls are no exception. Not only are they simple to prepare, but can be cooked right on the grill with your main and side dishes.
- 6 ounces bread dough (thawed if using frozen)
- 12-15 large chocolate squares semi-sweet or milk chocolate Ghiradelli squares
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar or sanding sugar
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 2 wood planks red oak
- Soak wood planks in tepid water for 30 minutes before using.
- Divide bread dough in 6 equal pieces. Roll out on a floured surface to 1/3" thick. Break chocolate squares in half and place in the center. You can double up if you choose to, just be mindful of overstuffing. Carefully roll bread into a sausage shape. Secure seam. Trim away ends. Repeat process for the remaining rolls.
- Place stuffed bread dough onto a large cutting board and cover with a clean towel. Let stand at room temperature for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- Remove plank from water and dry off really well. Brush one side of the plank with melted butter. place 4 rolls on each plank and brush the tops with butter. Sprinkle with sugar and place on to grill. Close lid and cook for 20-22 minutes, or until firm and golden brown.
- Wash and drain fruit. Gently blot dry with paper towels. Melt remaining chocolate squares in microwave until nice and runny.
- Remove rolls from grill and let stand for 5-7 minutes until cool enough to handle. Drizzle with melted chocolate and dust with confectioner's sugar. Serve with fruit on the side and a little whipping cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.