Plank Grilled Shrimp and Crab Cakes
This recipe calls for the combination of shrimp and crab . Softer items like crab cakes can be problematic on grill grates as they are prone to breaking and creating a huge mess. The plank allows you to takes all the stress out of the grilling process. Another perk? Since crab cakes are usually deep fried, they are loaded with unhealthy fats. This method eliminates the need for all those added calories. Served with a creamy chive mousse, this will soon be your favorite method for preparing crab (and shrimp) cakes on the grill.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 4 People
- 1-2 hickory wood planks
- olive oil
- For crab-shrimp cakes:
- 1 4 oz can medium sized shrimp
- 1 6 oz can lump white crab meat
- 2/3-1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 medium green onions, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For mousse:
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Presoak planks in tepid water for 30 minutes or more.
- Place crab and shrimp into a food processor. Add white parts of green onion, reserving the green portion for later. Add remaining ingredients for seafood cakes. Make sure to start out with 2/3 of a cup of bread crumbs first and build from there if needed. If using gluten free bread crumbs, use the full 1 cup.
- Process mixture and check for consistency. It should be stiff enough to form into patties. Add remaining green onions and pulse a few more times. Cover mixture and place into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour before grilling.
- Preheat grill for medium high heat.
- Remove plank(s) from water and dry off with paper towels.
- Form seafood mixture into 5 or 6 equal sized patties. Brush plank with a little olive oil and set seafood cakes on top. Brush the tops and sides of patties with olive oil and place plank onto the grill.
- Cook for 18-20 minutes, or until internal temperature reads 150 degrees F. Reduce heat to medium if needed.
- While seafood cakes are on the grill, prepare the chive mousse by combining sour cream and cream cheese with the other ingredients. Cover and place into refrigerator until ready to use.
- Once cooked, remove plank with seafood cakes from the grill. Let stand for a few minutes. Top with about 1 tablespoon of chive mousse and serve.
- Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days after preparation. Rewarm before serving.
Photo by: Sabrina Baksh Texture: These crab cakes will not have the same texture as their fried counterparts. Think of these as more delicate, almost pate-like.