- 400 square inches of primary cooking area that can be boosted to 680 square inches with optional accessory grates
- Divider for firebox allows for indirect grilling without optional plate setter
- Top vent cap is cast iron – bottom vent is stainless steel
- Heavy ceramic shell holds heat and stops temperature fluctuations
- Reversible porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grates
- Spring loaded lid for easy lifting
- Made in the USA by Primo Grills and Smokers
Full Review – Primo Oval XL Charcoal Grill
- Dividable Firebox
- Highest Grade Construction
- Quality construction
- Large Capacity
- Excellent Smoker
- Everything else is extra
Primo is one of the oldest makers of Kamado Grills. For years, they were the only alternative to Big Green Egg. The biggest stand-out feature of Primo Grills is that they are the only manufacturer to produce their products entirely in the United States. This includes not only the ceramic shell but every nut and bolt.
What makes the Primo Oval XL Charcoal Grill stand out is not only its size but its shape. While most all Kamado Grills are perfectly round, the Oval is, well, oval. What this allows for are superior indirect cooking capabilities. The Oval XL has a dividable firebox which makes it a better smoker than many of its competitors. This isn’t a vast improvement, but it is an improvement nonetheless. It does, however, make indirect grilling possible without the diffuser plate (known as a plate setter in Big Green Egg terminology). While the diffuser is an important addition, particularly for smoking, it isn’t a requirement. This ability to divide the firebox also makes access to the fire easier with this model.
The 400 square inches of primary grilling space on this grill is ample for most any needs. It makes it one of the largest grills of this style on the market. Like most Kamado grills on the market, this model includes a cast iron top vent and many of the same features as its competitors. For those looking for something a little bigger than the typical grill, this is the model I recommend the most.
Primo may not be as big a company as the more well-known brand, but their customer support is excellent and the people behind the product are very dedicated. As an alternative to something green (these grills come exclusively in black), this is the brand to choose.