Pulled Pork Mac n Cheese
This is a great way to use up leftover pulled pork. This recipe can be done two ways: top the mac and cheese with pulled pork and your favorite barbecue sauce, or simply combine in with the macaroni and cheese, sans sauce, and placed under a broiler.
- 1 16 ounce bag of fusili noodles or elbow macaroni
- 3-3 1/2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- For topping:
- 2-3 cups pulled pork
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (optional)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar (optional)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- To prepare macaroni and cheese, cook noodles according to directions and drain. While noodles are draining, melt butter in large pot. To that, add flour and cook for an additional 1 minute, making sure to stir continuously. Add 1/2 cup milk and stir making sure lumps do not form. This should thicken quickly. Add another 1/4 cup of milk, half of the extra sharp cheddar cheese, and
- all of the parmesan cheese. Stir, and as the sauce thickens, add the remainder of the milk, cheese, and remaining, herbs and spices. When sauce has thickened and all ingredients are well incorporated, add noodles and stir gently.
- In large ramekins, or small, personal sized cat iron skillets, add about 1 1/4 cups of macaroni and cheese. If you choose to just add the plain pulled pork, incorporate it in with the noodles before adding to baking dishes and top with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese. If you choose to use the barbecue sauced pulled pork as a topping, simply wait to add until the end of cooking. Place dishes under broiler for 5-6 minutes until browned. Remove from heat and add pulled pork (if opting for this) and chopped parsley.