These quick and easy grilled steak tacos are perfect for weeknight grilling. The steak is seasoned with a flavorful rub, grilled to perfection, sliced, and then served on warmed tortillas. Top with fresh guacamole, queso, pico de gallo, and cotija cheese for a delicious treat.
Making Quick and Easy Grilled Steak Tacos:
- Steak-This recipe calls for flat-iron steak, but you can use a sirloin flap (sirloin bavette) or tri-tip if you cannot find it.
- Steaks– Grill these steaks to an internal temperature between 130-140 (medium-rare to medium). Or, find the perfect doneness by using our steak temperature guide.
- Marinade-Plan on anywhere between 1-4 hours of marinating time. However, you can marinate the steak for up to 12 hours.
- Tortillas-Use either white or yellow corn tortillas for this recipe, but keep in mind that they have different textures. White corn tortillas are soft and tender compared to yellow tortillas, which are grainier and less pliable. This is why it is a good idea to warm them first before using them. Place the yellow corn tortillas into a large sheet of aluminum foil, wrap them up and seal the edges. Place them on to warm over indirect heat halfway through cooking the steak. Turn the foil packet every few minutes to evenly distribute heat.
- Toppings-This recipe calls for guacamole, but you can certainly tailor the toppings to suit your needs. Add queso to your tacos, pico, or grilled salsa. Cotija cheese is a great topping, but so is shredded pepper jack cheese. Customize the toppings for these quick and easy steak tacos to suit your tastes. Most importantly, have fun with it.
Store leftover grilled steak in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days after initial preparation.
If you’re trying to cut out red meat but still love tacos, you can certainly use boneless chicken thighs or breasts. Marinate for 2-4 hours
For the vegetarian in your family, chop up some summer squash and mushrooms. Marinate for 30-45 minutes, and cook the vegetables in a cast-iron pan on your grill. They’ll cook quickly, so keep an on them.
Quick and Easy Grilled Steak Tacos
- 2 pounds flat iron steak (or 3 New York strips steaks)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 limes, cut into quarters
- for marinade:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of two limes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- For guacamole:
- 2 large ripe avocados, halved, scooped and mashed
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Rub onto both sides of flat steak (or strip steaks), cover with plastic and place in the refrigerator for 1-4 hours.
- Preheat grill for medium high heat.
- Remove steak from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature until grill has come up to full heat. Place steak on grill and cook for 6-8 minutes per side, depending on thickness, desired doneness and type of steak being used for this recipe. I recommend medium to medium well for this recipe, but you be the judge of that. Halfway through cook time, wrap tortillas in a large piece of aluminum foil. Place onto grill and warm them by indirect heat. Turn every few minutes.
- Once steak is cooked, place onto a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Set aside. Remove tortillas from grill and leave wrapped.
- Prepare guacamole in a medium bowl. Taste for salt and acid (lime juice) content and adjust accordingly.
- Slice steak and serve with warmed tortillas, guacamole and lime wedges.