Royal Red Cabbage Salad
This salad is certainly fit for royalty with its exquisite combination of flavors. Topped with a honey dressing and gorgonzola cheese, this salad makes a perfect side dish, but is certainly hearty enough to be the star of the show
Servings: 4 People
- 3 cups red cabbage, chopped into thin strips
- 1/3 cup blackberries, washed
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese, broken into small chunks
- 3 large mint leaves, chopped into thin strips
- for beans:
- 1 can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 small sweet onion, sliced into 1/2 "chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- for dressing:
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- dash of salt
- To prepare beans: heat olive oil in a medium pan. Add onions and saute for 1-2 minutes over medium heat, until they begin to turn translucent. Add cumin, salt and pepper and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in navy beans and cook for additional 2-3 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature (about 10 minutes).
- To prepare dressing: In an small saucepan add honey, rice wine vinegar, and white wine. Simmer mixture on medium high for 1 minute, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and let mixture cook for an additional 6-8 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally and watch for burning.
- Once honey mixture has reduced by half, remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes before using. If dressing becomes too thick, simply reheat until it begins to liquify.
- To assemble: Arrange cabbage onto a large platter. Top with beans, blackberries, gorgonzola cheese, chopped mint, and walnuts. Using a small spoon, drizzle honey dressing over top. You can use as much or as little of the dressing as you'd like depending on how sweet you'd prefer the salad to be.