Savory Grilled Turkey
Delight your guests with a new take on the holiday bird. The grill adds an extra layer of flavor to this savory and delicious turkey.
- 1 12 pound whole turkey
- 1 cup unsalted room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon A.1. steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- Prepare grill for a medium-high indirect cook.
- Remove giblets from turkey (discard or save for another use). If you're planning to brine the turkey, omit the salt from the recipe. Blot surface of turkey with paper towel.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients in a food processor. Place half of the mixture in a saucepan. Use the remaining half to season the turkey. Apply all over the turkey, making sure to get under the skin of the breast.
- When the grill temperature has reached about 350° F, place turkey on the grill rack directly over the drip pan filled with 1 1/2 cups hot water. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1 hour before basting.
- To prepare baste, heat reserved butter mixture on stove top for 3-4 minutes, over medium heat until butter has melted. Remove from heat and let stand for a few minutes before using.
- Continue to grill turkey 1 hour-2 hours longer or until a meat thermometer reads 185° F in the thigh. Baste frequently with heated butter sauce every 20 minutes until 10 minutes before removing the turkey from the grill.
- Once cooked, carefully remove turkey and place onto a large cutting board. Loosely cover turkey with aluminum foil and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
Photo by: Sabrina Baksh
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!