Sazon is a Latin spice blend used to season all types of meats, vegetables, rice, and beans. I really like having this Sazon Seasoning pre-made and ready to go. I’ve used it so many times on grilled meats, and after you try it, you will too! The main attraction is the crushed annatto seeds, also called achiote. I recommend looking for achiote powder if you’re looking for a quicker solution. Not only does the achiote provide a deep rich color, but lends a slight smokiness to the finished product. So, if you’re in the mood to put together a sazon mix free of extras like MSG, this recipe is the one for you!
- 1 tablespoon achiote powder or crushed annatto seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt sea or kosher
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried cilantro or dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine herbs and spices in a small bowl and transfer to an airtight container. Secure lid and store in the cupboard for up to 6 months.
- To use, simply scoop out the amount needed for your recipe and use it according to directions.
- Feel free to double or triple this sazon seasoning recipe to suit your cooking needs.
Image by: Sabrina Baksh