Looking for an easy and simple hummus recipe to start out with? Well, look no further. This is a great basic recipe that you can enjoy as is, or add other ingredients to such, as toppings or vegetables blended into the mixture.
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt (or vegan friendly alternative)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt use more if needed
- Olive oil
- Toasted pine nuts
- Toasted sesame seeds or raw flax seeds
- Peel garlic cloves and place into a small glass dish with 2 tablespoons of water. Microwave for 1 minute. Remove dish from the microwave and let the garlic cool for a minute or two. Drain away water and set garlic aside.
- Add the garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, plain yogurt, garlic, cumin, water, salt, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a food processor. Grind mixture together until finely processed. No lumps or bumps, just smooth as can be.
- Taste mixture for flavor and adjust to suit your palate. If the mixture is too thick, add another 1-2 tablespoons of water to hummus and pulse a few times to thin it out.
- Transfer hummus to a serving dish. With a spoon, create a shallow spiral well in the center. Carefully drizzle in some extra olive oil and top with toasted pine nuts and sesame seeds. Serve immediately, or cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Hummus can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container. Do not add extra olive oil and toasted nuts until ready to serve.
Photo by: Ajale from Pixabay