If you’re planning to cook chicken low and slow, why not take it up a notch with this delicious smoked chicken rub? With the perfect blend of aromatic herbs and spices, this rub will infuse your chicken with bold, smoky flavor that will have your taste buds singing.
There’s nothing quite like a well-made smoked chicken. While it might take a little time and technique, the seasoning usually makes or breaks a smoked bird. This fantastic rub strikes the perfect balance between deep rich earthy spices, bright herbiness, and a touch of sweetness with a little heat. This recipe makes enough rub for two (3-pound) birds, so increase the recipe if planning to smoke more than two chickens.
Smoked Chicken Rub Ingredients:
- Paprika (not smoked)
- Chili powder (American variety)
- Granulated onion (or onion powder)
- Cumin powder
- Mustard powder
- Granulated garlic (sub with garlic powder)
- Dried parsley
- Salt (omit if wet brining the chicken)
- Dried thyme (optional)
- Black pepper
Making the Rub:
Making this smoked chicken rub is a simple process. I recommend making up a large batch and storing it in these glass jars. Label them and place them in your cupboard for up to one year. Take out what you need, and you’ll be good to go!
- Combine rub ingredients in a bowl and apply evenly to the chicken, including under the breast skin and inside the cavity—Cook as directed.
- Omit salt if you have wet-brined the bird.
- Use this rub on turkey, chicken thighs, or game hens!
- Discard any leftover rub that has come into contact with raw meat.
- If you liked this smoked chicken rub recipe, try our All Purpose Poultry Rub.
Remember, that this delicious smoked chicken rub is easy to make at home and can be used any time. Whether you’re cooking for a crowd or just looking to treat yourself to a flavorful meal, this rub is a must-try for any home cook or grill master!
Smoked Chicken Rub
- 1/3 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt (omit if wet brining)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine rub ingredients in a bowl and apply evenly all over chicken, including under the breast skin and cavity. Cook as directed.
- Omit salt if you have wet brined the birds.
- Make ahead of time and store in a sealed container in the cupboard for up to one year after preparation. Remember to discard any rub that has come into contact with raw meat.