Smoked Meatball Subs
These smoked meatballs are perfectly delicious and ready to eat in a little over 30 minutes. If you're lucky, you might have leftovers too! This recipe was designed with the pellet cooker in mind, but really, any outdoor cooking unit will do. Serves 4-6 people.Photo by: ezumeimages/DepositphotosPrint Pin Rate
Servings: 4 people
- Sandwich fixings:
- 4-6 sub sandwich rolls 6 inch
- 1 jar marinara or more if you like it saucy
- 8-12 sliced mozzarella
- For Meatballs:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 3 strips bacon finely chopped
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes adjust to your liking
- Gently combine ground beef and sweet Italian sausage with the remaining ingredients. Do not over mix to avoid tough, dry meatballs.
- Form into 1 1/2 inch meatballs and place into a large parchment-lined aluminum tray or baking sheet. Do not overcrowd them; they need room to cook evenly!
- Set your pellet cooker to 180 degrees F., or follow the cooking temperature recommendations for your particular smoker.
- Place the pan with meatballs onto the grill grate, close the lid and let them smoke for a good 20 minutes.
- Remove pan, turn up the heat to about 370 degrees F. Once to temp, place the tray with meatballs back on the grill, close the lid and let the meatballs come up to temp. They are done once they reach between 160-165 degrees F.
- Using your stovetop, heat the marinara in a large, medium-sized pot. You can also make a homemade marinara if you'd like!
- Once cooked, remove the tray from the grill, and set it onto a heat-resistant surface. Carefully remove the meatballs, place them into the marinara. Let the sauce bubble a bit and make sure the meatballs are well coated.
- Assembling sandwiches: I recommend toasting the bread with a bit of butter. Add about 3-4 meatballs per sandwich and a little extra sauce with 1-2 slices of cheese. You can also serve these smoked meatballs over pasta.
Serving: 1sub | Calories: 987kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 53g | Fat: 74g | Saturated Fat: 27g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 291mg | Sodium: 2617mg | Potassium: 1416mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 910IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 141mg | Iron: 8mg