We first developed this smoked pumpkin pie recipe in 2013 by smoking pumpkins and using the pureed flesh for these amazingly delicious pies. It was a huge hit! Not only did it provide a mild smokiness to this popular Thanksgiving dessert, but brought out the deep flavors of the pumpkin and the earthiness of the spices. Top this smoked pumpkin pie with sweetened whipped cream and a little caramel sauce for the perfect dessert!
Smoked Pumpkin Pie – Ingredients:
- Pureed smoked pumpkin
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Bourbon: substitute with 2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Powdered nutmeg
- Powdered ginger
- Powdered cloves
- Pie crust: use a ready to bake 9″ pie crust
- Whipped cream
- Caramel sauce: I recommend salted caramel, but plain caramel sauce tastes amazing too!
How to Make Smoked Pumpkin Pie:
Please keep in mind that you will need to smoke the pumpkins the day before. You can smoke them the day of, but letting the smoked pumpkin flesh rest overnight in the fridge, balances out its flavor.
- Preheat your oven for 425 degrees F.
- Whisk together smoked pumpkin puree with eggs, condensed milk, bourbon, and spices.
- Place the pie shell onto a baking tray.
- Carefully pour the pumpkin filling into the pie shell.
- Place the baking tray with the filled pie into the oven.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F., and cook for an additional 40-45 minutes, or until the filling has set up.
- To check for doneness, insert a toothpick (or knife) into the center of the smoked pumpkin pie. If it comes out clean, it is done.
- Remove pie from the oven and cool for 1 hour.
- To serve: top each slice with whipped cream and a little warmed caramel sauce. Omit the caramel sauce if preferred and substitute it with your preferred topping.
Storing Leftovers and Rewarming:
- Store your leftover smoked pumpkin pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. It tastes great cold, but you can rewarm it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds and serve.
- If you’ve doubled the recipe and made more than one pie, cover the second pie with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator. If planning to serve the entire pie the following day, rewarm it in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Remove it from the oven, slice, and serve.
Like this smoked pumpkin pie recipe? See more Thanksgiving recipes below!
- 2 cups pureed smoked pumpkin
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk 14 ounces
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 9-inch pie crust uncooked
- Whipped cream sweetened or unsweetened
- Caramel sauce plain or salted
- Preheat oven for 425 degrees F.
- Whisk together smoked pumpkin puree with eggs, condensed milk, bourbon, and spices. Place the pie shell onto a baking tray. Pour pumpkin filling into pie shell.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 8 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F., and cook for an additional 40-45 minutes, or until the filling has set up and an inserted knife (or toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove pie from oven and let it cool for 1 hour before serving. To serve, top each slice with whipped cream and a little caramel sauce. You can omit the caramel sauce all together substitute with a preferred topping.
Images by: bhofack2/Depositphotos and homank76/Depositphotos