This fantastic smoked pumpkin pizza is a great choice for the Fall season. The touch of smokiness really amps up the flavor without being too overbearing. If you’re not into smokiness, then simply use cooked pumpkin for the recipe. Or, use my method for smoking pumpkin.
Smoked Pumpkin Pizza
- 48 ounces frozen or refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan more if desired
- flour for rolling
- 2 cups smoked pumpkin flesh pureed
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt use more if preferred
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered allspice
- Puree pumpkin flesh by putting it into a blender or food processor with 1-2 tablespoons water or broth.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Once warmed through, Remove from heat and keep covered.
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- Cut pizza dough in half and roll each into 8” circles. Place dough onto the grill grates and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until the dough hardens a bit and turns golden. DO NOT TURRemove from grill and place the raw side down onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Slather cooked side with pumpkin sauce and return dough back onto the grill raw side down and cook for 4 minutes or until dough has cooked through. Promptly remove and top with arugula, sliced tomatoes, and shaved parmesan. Slice and serve.