This fantastic smoky pulled pork rub adds a little smoky spice flavor to your pulled pork. It will quickly become one of your favorite go-to rubs for pork. This recipe makes enough rub for one 6-8 pound pork roast. If you’re new to smoking meats, you’ll find that a good BBQ rub will get you headed in the right direction. This recipe is a great starting point!
A barbecue rub is one of the most important tools for delicious pulled pork. The rub is only one of the many building blocks of flavor used when smoking meats. The others include the choice of wood, the cooking method, and other components like forming a good bark, using an injection marinade or BBQ spritz, and how you dress it up once it’s cooked.
Ingredients for Smoky Pulled Pork Rub:
- Regular paprika
- White sugar
- Smoked paprika
- Mustard powder
- Chili powder
- White pepper
- Granulated garlic
- Cayenne pepper
How to Make a Rub:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Use a whisk or a fork to break up the mustard powder.
- Use immediately on pork roast, or store spice rub in an airtight container until ready to use. This pulled pork rub will last from 6-8 months if stored in a cool, dark place like a cupboard.
Using Smoky Pulled Pork Rub:
- First, I recommend placing the rub into a large shaker. My favorite shaker to use for seasoning meat is the: Tablecraft 10 ounce Shaker. The best part is that it is reasonably priced. You can’t beat that!
- Take out what you need for the pork butt. You’ll need 1 tablespoon per pound of rub. So for a 6-pound pork butt, you’ll need 6 tablespoons. However, that is completely up to you as the cook.
- Coat the entire roast, and cook as directed.
- If you plan to wrap and refrigerate the pork with the rub in place, omit the salt from the rub. Add it to the pork roast about 30 minutes before it goes on the smoker.
A word on food safety: Discard any leftover rub that has come into contact with raw meat. Including dipping into the rub container repeatedly after touching the raw meat. I recommend measuring out how much you’ll need before applying.
Smoky Pulled Pork Rub
- ¼ cup paprika
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar white
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika use more if desired
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well combined. Use immediately on pork roast, or store spice rub in an air tight container until ready to use. This pulled pork rub will stay good for more than 6 months if stored in a cool, dark place like a cupboard. Discard any leftover rub that has come into contact with raw meat. This recipe makes enough pulled pork rub for 1 large pork roast. Double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe to suit your barbecue needs.