A great way to liven up pumpkin soup is to use smoked pumpkin. The little hint of smoke will add a depth of flavor to this Fall-inspired smoky Pumpkin Soup. Simple and delicious, you’ll be happy for leftovers the next day! Use my method for smoking pumpkins. It is quick and easy and can be used in so many great dishes.
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cups smoked pumpkin flesh
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 sage leaves plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt use more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan garnish
- Olive oil for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Bruise (rub together 4 of the sage leaves to release essential oils. Add them to the pot and cook for 30 seconds per side. This will infuse the oil with a mild sage flavor Remove them from the pot and discard. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add diced onion and cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring often. The object is to sweat the onions not brown them, so turn down the heat if needed. Add garlic, and cook for an additional 45 seconds.
- Next, add stock, smoked pumpkin flesh, maple syrup, salt, black pepper, and pepper flakes to the pot. Let the mixture simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add half and half and and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. Remove pot from heat and let stand for 5 minutes or so. Use an immersion blender to smooth out the soup. Taste for salt content and adjust as needed.
- To serve, add 2-3 ladles full of soup into a soup plate or bowl, then top with a little olive oil, parmesan, and sage leave (herb or micro-green of choice).
- Store leftover soup in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days after preparation.
- This recipe can be made vegan as well. Use vegetable stock, a creamy vegan milk alternative, and nutritional yeast instead of parmesan. The texture of the soup might not be the same, but it will certainly be delicious!