Spicy Chicken Sandwich
Forget fast food spicy chicken sandwiches, this recipe is fresh, flavorful, and much better for you. This recipe is quick and easy enough for weeknight meals, but is a great addition to cookouts and game day parties. Served with a green onion aioli, this sandwich will win your heart over. If looking for an even healthier option, omit the bun and wrap in lettuce.
Servings: 4 People
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large tomatoes sliced
- 4-5 Romaine lettuce leaves, washed
- 4-5 Burger buns (brioche recommended)
- For aioli:
- 1 cup light mayonnaise or whole milk yogurt
- 1 large green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare grill for medium high heat.
- In a large bowl combine ground chicken breast with onion powder, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne, and chili powder. Form into 4-5 equal sized patties. Place patties onto grill and cook for 5-6 minutes per side, depending on thickness and size. Once patties have reached an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees in the thickest part, remove from heat and place onto medium sized cookie sheet.
- To prepare aioli, simply combine all ingredients called for and store in an air tight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Mixture can keep for up to 3 days in refrigerator in case there are leftovers.
- To assemble, place lettuce on bottom half of bun, top with 1 tablespoon of aioli, then chicken patty, tomatoes, and top half of bun. Serve with grilled vegetable kebabs or fresh green salad.