Sweet-Cherry and Citrus Barbecue Sauce
This barbecue sauce has a unique, yet wonderful combination of sweet cherries, citrus, with a light hint of mustard. Try this on grilled slow cooked pork, lamb, beef, or chicken. It also works well as a dipping sauce for grilled vegetables.
- 2 cups pitted and halved fresh sweet cherries
- 1/3 cup pure orange juice
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon Dijon style mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place pitted cherries, orange juice, zest, sherry, and water in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, reduce heat to low and simmer sauce for 10 minutes or until cherries are extremely tender. Stir often and watch for burning. Add more water if necessary Remove saucepan from heat and cool for 5 minutes. Place contents into a blender and puree.
- Add mixture back into saucepan and add remaining ingredients. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Taste for salt content and adjust accordingly.
- Once cooked through, remove from heat and cool for 5-10 minutes before using.
Photo by: Sabrina Baksh