If you haven’t tried these T-Bone Steaks with Herb Rub, you’re missing out!
I love a good t-bone steak. It’s an old school favorite that I plan on grilling any chance I get. However, these T-Bone steaks are slathered with a flavorful oregano, basil, and garlic seasoning rub. Then these steaks are grilled just right. Reverse searing forms a beautiful crust, where the herb paste caramelizes to perfection.
Ingredients for T-Bone Steaks with Herb Rub:
- 2 T-Bone steaks, at least 1″ thick
- Olive oil
- Fresh basil
- Fresh oregano leaves
- Red wine vinegar
- Coarse salt
- Black pepper
How to Make It:
- Please note that you will need a reliable instant read thermometer for this recipe!
- Place herb rub ingredients into a food processor and pulse about 7-10 times, until finely chopped. Adjust salt as needed.
- Apply seasoning mixture to both sides of steaks. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat grill for 350 degrees F or medium heat.
- While your grill is heating up, remove steaks from the refrigerator and let them stand at room temperature.
- Place steaks onto the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes per side, depending on thickness and desired doneness. I recommend medium-well doneness for this recipe. Refer to my steak temperature guide for more information.
Reverse Searing T-Bone Steaks:
- Once the steaks have reached an internal temperature within 8-10 degrees of your desired doneness, it’s time to reverse sear.
- If using a pellet grill, remove steaks from the grill and increase heat to high (500 degrees). Once it comes up to temp, place the steaks back on.
- If using a gas grill or charcoal grill, move the steaks directly above the fire.
- Reverse sear the t-bone steaks over intense heat for about 1-2 minutes per side, or until a nice golden brown crust forms. Watch for burning.
- Remove steaks from the grill and place them onto a plate—tent with aluminum foil (optional). Let steaks rest for up to 10 minutes, then serve.
Store leftover t-bone steak with herb rub in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
T-Bone Steaks with Herb Rub
- 2 T-Bone steaks
- for seasoning rub:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 large basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt (use more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Place seasoning rub ingredients into a food processor and pulse about 10 times, until ingredients are finely chopped and well combined. Taste for salt content. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Apply seasoning mixture to both sides of steaks. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- While grill is heating up, remove steaks from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature.
- Place steaks onto a hot grill and cook for 10-12 minutes per side, depending on thickness and desired doneness.
- Increase heat to high. Reverse sear the steaks by grilling them over intense heat for about 1-2 minutes per side, or until a nice golden brown crust forms. Watch for burning.
- Remove steaks from grill and place onto a plate. Rest them for 5-10 minutes, then serve.