This Southern-style Tangy Mustard Potato Salad has all the goodness of a classic creamy potato salad but takes it to the next level with a zesty kick of tangy mustard. The combination of flavors makes it a great side dish for summertime BBQs. With simple ingredients and our easy-to-follow steps, this recipe will quickly become one of your favorites!
Mustard potato salad is one of our favorite side dishes to serve at cookouts. It pairs well with traditional barbecued proteins like Brisket or Smoked Ribs. We also serve it with Beef Plate Ribs. This recipe calls for 2 types of mustard and real mayonnaise. See below for substitutions.
Potato Salad Ingredients:
- 2 pounds new potatoes (baby potatoes)
- Red onion
- Flat-leaf parsley (or favorite herb)
- Real mayonnaise
- Cider vinegar (sub with distilled vinegar)
- Olive oil
- Grainy mustard (sub with Dijon or yellow mustard)
- Dijon mustard (sub with grainy or yellow mustard)
- Granulated sugar
- Dill pickle relish
- Salt and black pepper
- Granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
How to Make Mustard Potato Salad:
- Boil the potatoes in 2 quarts of water with 1 tablespoon of salt for 18-20 minutes until soft but not mushy.
- Combine mayonnaise with mustard, cider vinegar, relish, garlic, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk in olive oil to emulsify the dressing.
- Season dressing with salt and black pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings to suit your tastes.
- Drain the potatoes and add them to the dressing. Gently toss to coat.
- Add red onion and 2 tablespoons parsley, and gently mix through.
- Scoop potato salad into a serving dish, garnish with remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, cover with plastic wrap, and place into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- For vegan potato salad, swap out the mayonnaise and Dijon for vegan-friendly alternatives.
- Add 3 chopped boiled eggs, and gently fold them in with the potatoes and dressing.
- Chop 3-4 strips of cooked bacon and fold it into the potato salad.
- Want it spicy? Add 1-2 tablespoons of finely diced pickled jalapenos to the potato salad.
Tangy Mustard Potato Salad
- 2 pounds new potatoes, sliced into halves or thirds
- 1/4 of a red onion, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon for boiling the potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped (garnish)
- Boil the potatoes in 2 quarts of water with 1 tablespoon of salt, for 18-20 minutes. Potatoes should be soft and easily pierced with a knife, but not mushy.
- In a large bowl, combine grainy mustard with mayonnaise, Dijon, cider vinegar, granulated garlic, relish and sugar. Slowly whisk in olive oil to emulsify the dressing. Season with salt and black pepper. Taste dressing and adjust seasonings to suit your palate.
- Drain potatoes and add them to the bowl with the dressing. Gently toss to coat. Add red onion, then 2 tablespoons parsley, and gently mix through. Scoop into a serving dish, garnish with remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, cover with plastic wrap, and place into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days after initial preparation.
- Need a vegan option? Simply swap out the mayonnaise and Dijon for vegan friendly alternatives.