A popular Cajun rice dish made with Andouille sausage and shrimp. Sometimes chicken is also added, but this recipe does not call for it. This makes a great barbecue side dish or simply eaten on its own because this is the best jambalaya.
The Best Jambalaya
A popular Cajun rice dish made with Andouille sausage and shrimp. Sometimes chicken is also added, but this recipe does not call for it. This recipe makes a great barbecue side dish or simply eaten on its own as the main course.Photo by: bhofack2/Depositphotos
- 1 pound shrimp extra-large, peeled and deveined
- 4-5 Andouille sausage sliced in thirds
- 1 cup brown rice long grain
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 bell pepper seeded and diced
- 6 mushrooms white variety, chopped
- 3 ribs of celery medium sized, finely sliced
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon powdered cumin
- 2-3 teaspoons hot sauce (adjust amount to your liking)
- 1 teaspoons salt (increase amount if needed)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, heat butter. Place sausage in the pot and cook for 3 minutes. Scoop out into a bowl. Add chopped vegetables and seasonings to the pot along with diced tomato. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add sausage back into the pot. Stir in the brown rice and chicken broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a heavy simmer. Immediately reduce heat to low, cover Dutch oven with lid and let cook for 35-40 minutes.
- Check rice for doneness. If it is tender then stir in the shrimp, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. If not, cook rice for another 5-10 minutes or until it becomes tender, then follow the steps above. Taste for salt content and adjust accordingly.
- Once cooked, remove the pot from heat. Spoon out the desired amount and garnish with sliced green onion.
- Store leftover jambalaya in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days after preparation. Reheat well before serving.
Calories: 554kcalCarbohydrates: 43gProtein: 43gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 342mgSodium: 2774mgPotassium: 862mgFiber: 4gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 1984IUVitamin C: 62mgCalcium: 237mgIron: 6mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!