Nothing is better than a burger that has been hit with a little smoke and then seared right before coming off the grill. The smoke kicks up the natural beef flavor of the patties and works really well with a flavorful cheese (blue is my favorite), grilled onions, and a dash or two of your favorite barbecue sauce. This is the best pellet grill burger. After biting into this, you are guaranteed to do a happy dance!
The Best Pellet Grill Burger
- Pellet Grill
- 3 pounds ground chuck
- Black pepper
- Sauteed or grilled onions
- Blue cheese or cheese of choice
- Barbecue sauce see notes
- 8 hamburger buns
- Set pellet grill temperature for 200 degrees F.
- Form ground beef into 6 equal-sized patties, about 1 to 1 ½ inches thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place burgers into the preheated pellet grill. Close lid and cook patties for 1 hour. Look for an internal temperature around 155 degrees F.
- Once the burgers start getting close to being done you can either grill or saute the onions at this point.
- Once the patties are nearly done, remove them from the pellet grill and place them onto a plate and cover. Crank up the heat on your pellet grill to its maximum temperature.
- When it comes up to temp, place patties back onto grill and sear. About 1 to 2 minutes per side. Doing this on a cast iron griddle or in a heavy pan will help with the searing.
- Remove from grill and assemble your burgers by topping with onions and blue cheese.
- Note: You can use barbecue sauce as a topping. Or mix 1 cup barbecue sauce with 1/3 of cup of mayonnaise for a creamier hamburger topping.
- Pellet suggestions: Hickory or Apple
- Photo: Sabrina Baksh