They truly are the best pellet grill burger!Jump to Recipe
These burgers are kissed with a bit of smoke, then seared to perfection. This process brings out the natural beefy goodness of a burger and will keep you returning for more. When I first tried this method, I was amazed at how tender and flavorful the burgers were. Not only were they delicious, but the process was so easy.
What you’ll need:
- Ground chuck
- Sliced cheese
- Large onions
- Hamburger buns
- Barbecue sauce
- Salt and pepper
Recommended wood pellets:
Pellet Grill Burger Tips:
- Season your patties right before placing them into the pellet grill.
Use a bottled or homemade barbecue sauce for this recipe. I recommend these Top 10 Tomato-Based Barbecue Sauces
- You can smoke the onions by slicing them thin and tossing them with seasonings and oil. Place them into a disposable aluminum pan and let them go for 45 minutes to an hour or until they are nice and caramelized.
- Cheese can make all the difference between a “meh” burger to a phenomenal burger. If you like blue cheese and you can get your hands on some blue cheese slices, give that a go. Otherwise, sharp cheddar, white cheddar, pepper jack, feta cheese, or Smoked Cream Cheese will work well on these pellet burgers. If you’re looking for something calmer, use swiss or provolone.
- Make it a meat lover’s dream by adding some black pepper bacon or pulled pork.
The Best Pellet Grill Burger
- Pellet Grill
- 3 pounds ground chuck
- Black pepper
- onions Sauteed or grilled
- Blue cheese or cheese of choice
- Barbecue sauce see notes
- 8 hamburger buns
- Set pellet grill temperature for 200 degrees F.
- Form ground beef into 6 equal-sized patties, about 1 to 1 ½ inches thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place burgers into the pre-heated pellet grill. Close lid and cook patties for 1 hour. Look for an internal temperature around 155 degrees F.
- Saute of grill onions, cover and keep warm until it's time to assemble.
- Once the patties are nearly done, remove them from the pellet grill and place them onto a plate and cover. Crank up the heat on your pellet grill to its maximum temperature.
- When it comes up to temp, place patties back onto grill and sear. About 1 to 2 minutes per side. Doing this on a cast iron griddle or in a heavy pan will help with the searing.
- Remove from grill and assemble your burgers by topping with onions and blue cheese.
- Note: You can use barbecue sauce as a topping. Or mix 1 cup barbecue sauce with 1/3 of cup of mayonnaise for a creamier hamburger topping.
- Pellet suggestions: Hickory or Apple
- Photo by: Sabrina Baksh
Try some of our other pellet grill recipes:
- Pellet Cooked New York Strip Steaks
- Pellet Grilled Old Bay Chicken Wings
- Chuck Roast on a Pellet Smoker
- Pellet Smoked Beef Tri-Tip
- Pellet Roasted Leg of Lamb
- Holiday Rib Roast on a Pellet Grill
- Pellet Cowboy Steak
- Pellet Grill Pork Ribs
Need a Pellet Grill?
If you want to make the best burgers on a pellet grill, you are going to need a pellet grill. Chances are if you are looking at this recipe, you already have one, but in case you don’t, you might want to check out my list of the best pellet grills on the market. I have broken them down by price, so you can find something that fits your wallet. There are more than a hundred models out there these days, so I thought you might appreciate a little help in your search.
Check out my lists of the Best Pellet Grills