These dry rubbed chicken wings are placed on the grill and served with a cooling dipping sauce. Unlike most wing recipes, this recipe does not call for a sauce to be applied. Frankly, they don’t need it to be the best spicy chicken wings. If you do choose to brine the chicken wings before grilling, omit the salt. I recommend cooking these over charcoal, but a gas unit will work just fine.
The Best Spicy Chicken Wings
- 45-48 wings (flats and drummettes)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper (adjust to your liking)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- for sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt (use whole milk)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare the sauce first by. Mix together the plain yogurt and mayonnaise. Add garlic, black pepper, and blue cheese crumbles. Gently mix in. Place into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Combine the rub mixture in a bowl. To make life easier, place mixture into a large spice shaker.
- Place wings onto a large cookie sheet. Use two if needed. Shake spices on top of wings, turn and repeat the process. Don't overdo it. What sticks to the wings is all it needs.
- Place wings onto the grill and cook 30-45 minutes, turning a few times during the cooking process. Once the internal temperature reaches between 175-180 degrees F., the wings are done. If you want to cook them a little slower, move the wings off to a cooler part of the grill and cook over indirect heat. Make sure to move them back to direct heat toward the end to get them nice and crunchy on the surface. Keep in mind that flats will cook a little faster than the drummettes.
- Once cooked, remove from grill and place into a large serving dish. Serve with creamy blue cheese sauce.
Not the Chicken Wings you are looking for? Try my recipes for:
- Grilled Tequila-Lime Wings
- Salt and Vinegar Chicken Wings
- Hoisin Honey-Garlic Wings
- Tabasco Chicken Wings
- Brine for Chicken Wings
- Grilled Apricot-Balsamic Chicken Wings