The Ultimate Carolina BBQ Sauce
This is truly one of the best recipes for Carolina barbecue sauce out there. Unlike those tomato based sauces we are all so used to, this one uses mustard. This traditional South Carolina sauce is served up with low and slow cooked pulled pork and even pulled chicken. Either way, pour this sauce on top or serve on the side at your next cookout.
- 1 1/4 cups yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 1-2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Place all ingredients, except butter and liquid smoke, into a medium saucepan. Simmer mixture over medium to medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. If the sauce is too thick, add about 1 tablespoon more water at a time until you reach your preferred consistency.
- Once sugars have melted through and sauce is well combined, remove saucepan from heat , stir in liquid smoke and butter. Let sauce cool for 10-15 minutes before using. Ideally, this sauce should be made the day before to give the flavors a chance to mellow.
- Store sauce in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days after initial preparation. Sauce should be served at room temperature.