Pimento Cheese is a known Southern favorite. What isn’t there to love about its delicious, creamy, peppery goodness? I add green onion and a little garlic to mine to kick up the flavor a bit. There is so much you can do with this Ultimate Pimento Cheese Spread. Serve it at gatherings in a veggie platter or with bread. It makes one heck of a condiment on burgers and grilled cheese sandwiches. It’s a great all around dip/spread for any occasion.
The Ultimate Pimento Cheese Spread
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (sharp, recommended)
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup pimentos chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 small green onions minced ( or 1 medium)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (use more if needed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash hot sauce optional
- About 30 minutes before making the spread, leave cream cheese package out on the counter. This will allow it to soften a bit.
- Place garlic in a small microwave safe bowl with 1-2 tablespoons water (depending on the size of clove). Microwave for 45-60 seconds. Remove from microwave and let stand for 5 minutes. Pour off water and set aside. This process will partially steam the garlic and rid it of the harsher enzymes that may cause gastrointestinal distress in some people. Peel, mince and set aside.
- Place cream cheese and mayonnaise in a bowl and gently stir until mixed through. Add cheddar cheese, pimentos, 1/2 of the green onion, minced garlic clove, salt, black pepper, and optional hot sauce. Stir ingredients until well combined.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with remaining green onions. Serve immediately or cover and place it into the refrigerator until ready to use. If storing for more than a few hours, place dip into an air tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days after preparation.