This sweet, fruit-based ultimate pineapple marinade contains the tenderizing power of pineapple and apple cider vinegar with light East Asian-inspired flavors. The ultimate pineapple marinade works well on all meats including, chicken, pork, flat steaks, game meats, and seafood. Try it on vegetables and meat substitutes, or use it in a stir fry!
Why Use a Pineapple Marinade?
Pineapple is great for tenderizing tougher cuts of meat like flat steaks (flank, skirt, hanger, etc.) and pork loin and steak. Fresh pineapple contains a tenderizing enzyme called bromelain. Keep in mind that canned pineapple contains preservatives that destroy bromelain. So while it still imparts great flavor, the canned variety will not tenderize the meat. For this reason, we’ve added apple cider vinegar to our ultimate pineapple marinade recipe. This acid acts as a meat tenderizer as well. If you’d like to use fresh pineapple, cut it into chunks and pulse in your food processor.
Ultimate Pineapple Marinade Ingredients:
- Crushed pineapple: Use either fresh or canned. Please note that canned pineapple will not have the same tenderizing effect as fresh. However, it will add a nice fruit-based flavor.
- Soy sauce: Use regular, low sodium, or tamari for this recipe.
- Honey: Substitute with pure maple syrup.
- Apple cider vinegar: This ingredient tenderizes meats. Follow the marinating times listed below for best results.
- Garlic minced
- Grated ginger
- Powdered cloves
Steps To Make It:
- Combine all of the ultimate pineapple marinade ingredients in a non-metal bowl.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days after preparation.
- Marinating times :
- Pork: 4-6 hours
- Beef Flat Steaks: 4-8 hours
- Chicken and Turkey Breast: 3-4 hours
- Vegetables and Tofu: 30-60 minutes.
- Fish and Seafood: 30 minutes
- Turn this pineapple marinade into a sauce! Add all ingredients to a saucepan, and simmer over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat, and simmer on low for an additional 5 minutes. The sauce will reduce and should and able to coat the back of a spoon. Drizzle on grilled, baked, air-fried, or broiled proteins.
Like The Ultimate Pineapple Marinade Recipe? Try These!
- 1 1/4 cups crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cloves
- In a medium glass or plastic bowl, combine all ingredients until well mixed through. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days after preparation.
- Recommended usage: Marinate pork for 4-8 hours, poultry for 3-4 hours, vegetables and meat substitute for no more than one hour. If using on fish and seafood, marinate for 30 minutes.
- You can make this marinade into a sauce! Add all ingredients to a saucepan, and simmer over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat, and simmer on low for an additional 5 minutes. Sauce should be reduced and able to coat the back of a spoon. Drizzle on grilled, baked, air fried, or broiled proteins.