Whiskey-Maple Barbecue Sauce
Bourbon is a hugely popular ingredient for all types of barbecue sauces, but this one takes it in a unique direction. With a mixture of maple and mango-pineapple there is a nice fruit base to the barbecue sauce with a nice kick in the pants from the bourbon. It's great on barbecued chicken and ribs. I recommend making a little extra to serve at the table.
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 2/3 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup mango-pineapple preserves
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons cider vinegar (to suit your tastes)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (use less if preferred)
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Simmer all of the sauce ingredients over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 5-7 more minutes. Taste and add more cider vinegar if needed. Consistency should be good and thick.
- Remove barbecue sauce from heat and cool for 5-10 minutes before using.
- You can make sauce ahead of time and store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week after preparation. I do recommend making it a day ahead, since it will give the flavors time to mellow out and balance. Reheat before using.
IMAGE BY: Sabrina Baksh