Whiskey-Maple Barbecue Sauce
Bourbon is hugely popular for all types of barbecue sauces, but this one takes it in a unique direction. With a mixture of maple and mango-pineapple there is a nice fruit base to the barbecue sauce with a slight kick in the pants from the bourbon. Great on barbecued chicken and ribs.
Servings: 2 Cups
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 2/3 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup mango-pineapple preserves
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons cider vinegar (to suit your tastes)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (use less if preferred)
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Simmer all ingredients over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 5-7 more minutes. Taste and add more cider vinegar if needed. Consistency should be good and thick.
- Remove sauce from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes before using.
- You can make sauce ahead of time and store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week after preparation. I do recommend making it a day ahead, since it will give the sauce time to mellow out and balance. Reheat before using.