- 19-inch diameter primary grilling surface (280 square inches) with a 200 square inch upper rack
- Comes with a stand, side tables, and tools
- Top vent cap is cast iron – bottom vent is stainless steel
- Enamel coated steel body with cast iron components
- Insulated double shell body
- Cast iron cooking grates
- Removable ash catcher drawer
- Includes multi-level cooking grate system
- Made in the United States by Broil King
Full Review – Broil King Keg 5000
- Lightweight Ceramic Alternative
- More Portable than Other Kamado Grills
- Highly Insulative
- Solid Construction
- Difficult to Bring Temperatures Down
- Top Vent Can Leak Water
It is a long-held fact that serious grillers prefer charcoal. It is also a fact that many serious charcoal grillers prefer Kamado Grills. The trouble with kamado grills is that they are not what you would call portable. Heavy and fragile it is best to find a place for your kamado and leave it there. This limitation is not a serious one, but what if you really want to move your kamado grill around? What if you want to take it on the road?
This was the driving idea that created this grill. At a fraction of the weight and mounted on wheels, this steel kamado can be taken anywhere easily and safely. The Broil King Keg 5000 Kamado Grill also adds all the extras you need for this style of grill. It comes with two cooking racks, a diffuser plate (or platesetter), and pair of side tables.
But is it a good grill? The Broil King Keg 5000 has a two-layer steel body. Between these layers is high-efficiency insulation. This makes it more insulated and efficient than many ceramic kamado grills. It is so efficient that it can hold low and slow smoking temperatures for longer than you would cook any food item. One rule with this grill is to keep the temperature down when lighting because bringing the heat down is actually hard to do.
As a complete package and around $900USD, this is one of the best kamado grills on the market. I have used this model for years and never had a single problem with it. Both versatile and durable, the Broil King Keg is a great choice, particularly if you want to take your kamado beyond your patio.