A simple and delicious recipe for Easy Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats! Take these delicious dessert bars to BBQ’s, potlucks,. and parties. They are so good; you’ll need to make two batches! The best part about these rice krispie treats is that you can make them year-round, and kids love them.
Serve these amazing rice krispie bars at BBQs, potlucks, kid’s parties, Halloween parties, tailgating events, and game nights.
What you’ll need to make Easy Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats:
- Unsalted butter
- Mini marshmallows
- Rice Krispie cereal
- Vanilla extract
- Butterscotch ice cream topping
- Semi-sweet chocolate bar or baking chips
How to make Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats:
- Melt unsalted butter in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to low and add your mini marshmallows, vanilla, salt, and cereal. Remove from heat and stir to coat.
- Spoon the mixture out onto a large parchment-lined cookie sheet. Even out the edges and center to form a rectangular shape. Let it stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Warm the butterscotch for 20 seconds in the microwave. Drizzle slowly over rice krispies mixture and top with chopped or grated chocolate.
- Cut your rice krispie treats into individual squares and serve.
Gluten-free option: Sadly, Rice Krispies cereal is not gluten-free, though there are gluten-free alternatives available. You can find them in health food stores or online. I also recommend using 8 cups of Rice Chex cereal instead.
Toppings: Use chopped-up butterscotch baking chips or toffee bars instead of semi-sweet chocolate. We’ve also drizzled these delicious bars with melted salted caramel. Yum!
Storing Rice Krispie Treats:
Place leftovers into an airtight container and store them at room temperature for 2 days. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week, or place them into a vacuum-sealed bag and freeze them for up to 6 weeks.
If you plan to take these bars to an event, place the rice krispie treats in the refrigerator for several hours beforehand. Doing this will give the butterscotch topping a chance to solidify(a bit) before serving.
Easy Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 20 ounces mini marshmallows
- 8 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butterscotch ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup chopped semi sweet chocolate
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add marshmallows. Add vanilla, salt, and cereal. Remove from heat and stir to coat.
- Scoop mixture out onto a large parchment lined cookie sheet. Even out the edges and center to form a rectangular shape. Let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Warm butterscotch for 20 seconds in microwave. Drizzle slowly over rice crispies and top with chopped chocolate. Cut into squares and serve.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days after preparation. Store in fridge for longer.
Also consider our: Smoked Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Photos by: Sabrina Baksh/derrickriches.com and quitesimplystock/Depositphtos