A simple and delicious recipe for Easy Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats! Take those plain rice krispie treats up a notch with my easy-to-make recipe. These dessert bars are so good; you’ll need to make two batches! The best part about these rice krispie treats is that you can make them year-round, and kids love them.
Serve these bars at BBQs, potlucks, kid’s parties, Halloween parties, tailgating events, and game nights.
What you’ll need to make Easy Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats:
- Unsalted butter
- Mini marshmallows
- Rice Krispie cereal
- Vanilla extract
- Butterscotch ice cream topping
- Semi-sweet chocolate bar or baking chips
How to make Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats:
-Melt butter in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to low and add your marshmallows. Add vanilla, salt, and cereal. Remove from heat and stir to coat.
-Spoon mixture out onto a large parchment-lined cookie sheet. Even out the edges and center to form a rectangular shape. Let stand for 10-15 minutes.
-Warm the butterscotch for 20 seconds in the microwave. Drizzle slowly over rice crispies and top with chopped chocolate. Cut your rice krispie treats into individual squares and serve.
Gluten-free option: Sadly, Rice Krispies cereal is not gluten-free, though there are gluten-free alternatives available. You can find them in health food stores or online. I also recommend using 8 cups of rice or corn Chex cereal instead.
Toppings: Use chopped up butterscotch baking chips or toffee bars instead of semi-sweet chocolate.
Storing Easy Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats:
Place leftovers into an airtight container and store them at room temperature for 2 days. Store these treats in your refrigerator for up to a week, or place them into a vacuum-sealed bag, seal tightly, and store them in your freezer for up to 6 weeks.
If you plan to take these bars to an event, place the rice krispie treats in the refrigerator for several hours beforehand. Doing this will give the butterscotch topping a chance to solidify(a bit) before serving.
Easy Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 20 ounces mini marshmallows
- 8 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butterscotch ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup chopped semi sweet chocolate
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add marshmallows. Add vanilla, salt, and cereal. Remove from heat and stir to coat.
- Scoop mixture out onto a large parchment lined cookie sheet. Even out the edges and center to form a rectangular shape. Let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Warm butterscotch for 20 seconds in microwave. Drizzle slowly over rice crispies and top with chopped chocolate. Cut into squares and serve.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days after preparation. Store in fridge for longer.
Photos by: Sabrina Baksh/derrickriches.com and quitesimplystock/Depositphtos