The Garlic Butter Sea Bass is an incredibly delicious, yet simple way to prepare this fish. The garlic butter sauce blends nicely with the mild flavor of this light and flaky fish. Serve with grilled vegetables or over the starch of your choice.
What is Sea Bass?
Sea bass is a variety of fish that are lumped under one category. They are not related per se, but they share similar physical traits such as a long frame, a large mouth, and a broad or wide tail. So with this information, it is best to assume that they might differ in flavor and texture. For this recipe, we recommend using a Chilean Sea Bass. This type of sea bass is tender and flaky in texture, with an almost butter-like flavor. The perfect combination! If you can’t get your hands on the Chilean variety, then opt for an Atlantic Sea Bass.
Cooking Method for Sea Bass:
-I recommend grilling this garlic butter sea bass recipe for an outdoor flame-kissed flavor. Charcoal is favorable, but you can use a gas or pellet grill as well. As always, follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for cook times and temperature settings for fish.
-If you are new to grilling fish, use a cedar plank or seasoned cast-iron skillet for the job. You can also cook this sea bass in a cast-iron skillet in your oven at 375 degrees F. until it reaches an internal temperature between 135-140 degrees F.
-If you’re cooking straight on the grill grate, I recommend using two spatulas to turn the fish. One to gently remove the fish from the grate, and the other to help turn it. It takes practice, so it might take a few times to get it right. Just keep going!
Substitutions and Recommendations:
-You can use another green or herb instead of parsley. I recommend arugula. It’s fancy, and the flavor pops. Or, you can use oregano or something more distinct flavor like basil.
-Don’t have garlic cloves on hand? Use 1/8 of a teaspoon of garlic powder per clove of garlic. For this sea bass recipe, you would use 1/4 teaspoon.
-Use a good quality extra virgin for the sauce.
Serving Sea Bass:
-Serve this grilled garlic butter sea bass with grilled vegetables, rice pilaf or quinoa, or salad.
Like this garlic butter sea bass recipe? Try these!
Grilled Garlic Butter Sea Bass
- 2 pounds sea bass Atlantic or Chilean
- 3 tablespoons butter
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- To prepare butter sauce: combine butter, lemon juice, garlic and parsley in a small saucepan. Remove from heat once the butter has melted; about 2 minutes on the stove top.
- Combine sea salt, onion powder, paprika, pepper, and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle on all exposed flesh of fish.
- Place fish on a well oiled grate and cook for 7 minutes. Using a large spatula, carefully turn fish and coat with butter sauce. Cook for 7 more minutes. Once fish reaches an internal temperature of 135-140 degrees F, it is done.
- Remove from heat, plate, and drizzle with olive oil before serving. Garnish with chopped tomatoes or your favorite toppings.