These Tequila-Lime Wings are amazingly delicious, and the flavor combination is fantastic! They make one heckuva an appetizer too. Get these wings marinating 2-4 hours before any gathering, and throw them on the grill right before your guests arrive. These tequila-lime wings are so good; you might end up making a double batch!
Ingredients for Tequila-Lime Wings:
- 2-3 pounds chicken wings, flats and drummettes
- Fresh lime juice
- Grapefruit juice, fresh squeezed or real grapefruit juice, bottled.
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Cilantro (fresh coriander leaves, sub with flat-leaf parsley)
Making Tequila-Lime Wings
- Place all citrus juices, oil, garlic, seeded jalapeno, and tequila into a food processor and blend until smooth—season marinade with salt and pepper.
- Split mixture in half. Set aside.
- Separate wings into two equal batches and place them into two resealable plastic bags.
- Pour one-half of the marinade mixture into each bag. Release air, seal bags, work the marinade into the wings and place bags into the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
Grilling the Wings:
- Preheat grill for 375 degrees or medium-high heat. Have a reliable instant-read thermometer close by.
- Place marinated tequila-lime wings onto the grill and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until the wings register an internal temperature of 175 degrees. If flare-ups occur, reduce heat to medium, or if using a charcoal grill, move wings to a cooler part of the grill and cook until done. Turn as needed.
- Once wings have crisped up and register 175 degrees, remove from the grill and garnish them with cilantro.
- Store leftover tequila-lime wings in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat them in a 350-degree oven until they reach an internal temperature of165 degrees.
Note on Tequila:
Our readers often ask what type of tequila to use in marinades. Use either a blanco or resposado tequila. If you do not want the alcohol content in your tequila-lime wings, use non-alcoholic tequila or agave juice. Please note that agave juice will sweeten the marinade.
- 2-3 pounds chicken wings separated flats, and drummettes
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1 jalapeno seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 11/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro for garnish
- Place all marinade ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Split mixture in half. Set aside.
- Separate wings into two equal batches and place them into two resealable plastic bags. Pour half of the marinade mixture into each bag. Release air, seal bags, and work the marinade into the wings. Place bags into the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat grill for medium heat. Place wings onto the grill and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until the wings register an internal temperature of 175 degrees. If flare-ups occur, reduce heat to medium, or move wings to a cooler part of the grill and cook indirectly until done. Turn as needed.
- Once wings are cooked through, remove from grill, garnish with cilantro (or preferred garnish) and serve.
More Chicken Wing Recipes: