Viking Professional 5 Series 36-Inch Built-in Gas Grill$6200
- Two 23,000 BTU cast brass burners
- One 27,000 BTU internal ceramic type infrared burner
- 640 square inches of primary grilling space for a total cooking area of 935 square inches
- 73,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 14,000 BTU rear mounted infrared rotisserie burner with full kit
- Three position rotisserie system
- Complete seamless welded 304 stainless steel construction
- Stainless steel rod cooking grates
- Hot surface continuous ignition
- High temperature ceramic briquette barrier
- Two internal halogen lights
- Convertible between propane and natural gas with additional equipment
- Made in the United States by the Middleby Corporation
Full Review - Viking Professional 5 Series 36-Inch Built-in Gas Grill
There are a few hundred reasons why you shouldn't buy this grill. I will get to those in a minute. The real standout feature of this gas grill is its brand name. You would have to be living under a rock to not know the name Viking. They make the kitchen appliances that fill celebrity kitchens and cooking shows. The truth is, Viking is the best-known name in the highest end cooking equipment, and they know it. In fact, that was the plan all along. And I am not saying this because they make the best equipment, but because they have done the best job of marketing luxury.
With Viking ranges, refrigerators, and ovens going into the most expensive homes, they sought to continue that to the patio. As the popularity of outdoor kitchens exploded, Viking jumped into the market space. Unfortunately, Viking didn't have the ability to make those grills themselves. Truth is, they are much more a brand than a company. What they did, was hire someone to make their gas grills. Someone signed on, did it for a while and then they stopped and the maker changed. This happened a few times.
Then came The Middleby Corporation. They bought Viking when that brand had fallen on hard times. Fortunately for Middleby, they owned another grill company, Lynx.
About this Grill
The Viking Professional 5 Series 36-Inch Built-in Gas Grill, is an expensive (over $6,000USD), full featured built-in gas grill. You get two heavy cast brass main burners, an innovative infrared burner, and a full rotisserie system. This is a well featured grill. It has quality construction, excellent heat output, and great cooking capabilities. This really is a very good grill. So why am I not recommending it? Well, because you are paying for the name. In truth, not a lot for the name, but still, a few hundred extra.
So what should you do instead? If you really love this grill (and you should), buy the Lynx Professional 36-Inch instead. The Lynx version is virtually identical. Actually, the Lynx has better burners, but not something that really jumps out. The best part of the Lynx grill is that it is a few hundred dollars less than this one, even though both grills are made with the same parts in the same factory. It is for reasons like this that people who really know cooking equipment don't buy Viking.
Or you can check out the Best Built-in Gas Grills Over $6000