This all-purpose poultry rub has all the goodness of a basic chicken rub, with a bit of chili powder for earthiness and a splash of paprika for color. Simple, unique, and delicious. You have the option of using this mixture as a dry rub, a wet rub, or adding this poultry seasoning mixture to sauces and marinades. This rub will add a lovely flavor to chicken breasts. We’ve also used it on baked or grill whole chicken, or chicken leg quarters.
All-Purpose Poultry Rub Ingredients:
- Coarse Salt: Kosher or Sea salt
- Onion Powder
- Dried Parsley
- Black Pepper
- Paprika (not smoked): Use a sweet or plain variety for this all-purpose poultry seasoning
- Chili Powder: Mild or ancho
- Dry Mustard
- Herb de Provence: Gives this rub a floral and herbal note
- Celery Salt
- Garlic Powder: Or granulated garlic
- Allspice: A nice spiced undertone without the robust flavors of cinnamon.
- Combine rub ingredients in a small bowl until well mixed through.
- Use immediately or store your all purpose poultry rub in an air tight container in a cupboard for 12 months after preparation.
- Make a large batch and store the rub in a tightly closed jar in the cupboard for easy access. Scoop out what you need, to keep the the remaining rub contaminant free.
Use and Storage
- Use this all-purpose poultry rub on chicken, whole or pieces, and wings. If using on turkey, double the recipe to make enough seasoning. This rub works great on game hens and pheasant as well.
- Aim to use 1 tablespoon per pound of meat. For example, a 4 pound chicken will need 1/4 cup of rub while a 16 pound turkey will need 1 cup.
- For whole chickens, make sure to some rub under the breast skin. Gently lift up the skin and use your fingers to to form a n even coating to the breast meat.
- If you plan to brine the bird in a wet brine solution, we reducing the salt in the rub by half, or entirely.
- This all purpose poultry rub can be made into a wet rub by adding 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to the rub mixture. Form into a loose paste for easy application.
- For turkey, combine the rub with 1/2 cup room temperature unsalted butter. Slather all over the bird and under the breast skin. If you plan to wet brine the turkey, omit the salt in this rub. Replace the celery salt with 1 1/2 teaspoons of pulverized celery seed.
Like this recipe? Try these!
All Purpose Poultry Rub
- 2 tbsp coarse salt
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp black pepper (coarse ground)
- 1 tbsp paprika (not smoked)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp herb de provence
- 1 tbsp celery salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp allspice
- Combine rub ingredients in a small bowl until well mixed through. Use immediately or store in an air tight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months after preparation. Use liberally on chicken, and double recipe for your cooking needs. The mixture can be added to bastes, marinades, and barbecue sauces as well.
- Aim to use 1 tablespoon per pound of meat.This recipe makes enough rub for one 16 pound turkeys or four 3 1/2-4 pound whole chickens.